Tuesday, February 25, 2014

On Being an Adult

I've started this little blog for my kids. It's not a parenting blog - I wouldn't dare tempt my fate in that domain. I fear for writers who have young children and find it necessary to publish their parenting wisdom for all the world to see, giving tips and tricks about how best to raise little Johnny and Sue. Because Johnny and Sue aren't fully developed yet, so this little experiment called parenting still isn't complete, now is it? No, I wouldn't dare share my "wisdom" with the world, not knowing what kinds of little people my two will become. This is in no way belittling those who parent-blog. But unless the authors can be quite certain their little ones won't end up in a penitentiary, I'll seek advice from those who've seen this thing quite through.

No, my writing here is actually for my children. I've been told this internet contraption will be around for ages. In fact, several sage individuals warned that it will record everything - all our mishaps and debacles, so we'd better be quite sure we don't publish all our screw-ups, otherwise generations to come will bear witness to our stupidity.

But I find that notion inspiring. And I'd like nothing more than to share my stupidity now. Get it over with, you know, so I rest quite assured nothing the world may discover surprises me.

I mustn't stop there, though, right? Because sharing our ignorance isn't enough. No, I'd like very much for all my dumb decisions to have some sort of purpose. So, I've started this little diary as a way to share my idiocy with my children. I hope, through reading this, they'll realize they managed to grow up healthy and strong despite my best efforts to totally muck it all up. And I hope they'll see adulthood as it really is: a very strange journey where we all look a bit silly, make messy mistakes, and manage to muddle through alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment